MONTEFOLLONICO (576m above sea level)
Is a small medieval village whose raison d'Ítre is found in the past rivalries between the republics of Siena and Florence; in fact the village was born as a Sienese fortress, against the "Florentine" Montepulciano.
The first evidence of the area being inhabited dates as far back the Neanderthal man (approx. 60,000 years ago) with the Lithic tools found in the area of "Il Tondo" (now the public garden).
In the following centuries we have accounts of a territorial dispute in the year 715 for the ownership of the church Pieve di San Valentino. The history of the village as such began in the XIIIth century with the foundation of the church Pieve di S. Leonardo by the Cistercian monks from the monastery nearby, who by dedicating themselves to fulling wool gave the village its name Mons a Fullonica. After various events Montefollonico was incorporated into the Tuscan Grand Duchy in 1555.
||PORTA DEL TRIANO
||PORTA DI FOLLONICA
||PALAZZO DEL COMUNE
||CHIESA DEL TRIANO
HOW TO REACH US
Siena-Chiusi line: Torrita di Siena station or Sinalunga. Milan-Rome line: Terontola-Cortona station, or Chiusi Chianciano Terme for Torrita di Siena and subsequently for Montefollonico.
"Autostrada del Sole" Milano-Napoli A1 (E35) exit Valdichiana and go to Torrita di Siena and subsequently for Montefollonico.
the nearest airports are those at Florence (120km), Pisa (190km), Rome (220km).
Click here for see the map